Thursday, March 31, 2005

Online gamer charged with killing competitor

A 41 year old man from China has stabbed and killed a another man over an incident related to an online game. One fellow lent a 'virtual weapon' to his 'friend' and then the friend sold the weapon to another gamer. First guy didn't like this and stabbed his friend over the money.

Putting aside the fact that someone is DEAD, what is interesting is that these guys were engaged in economic transactions in 'meatspace' for a 'reward' or commodity that exists in this virtual game world. Furthermore, this was such an important/significant 'object' that someone is dead over it.

There is one positive outcome here of course, I'm surprised that newspaper headlines are not proclaiming 'It's only a game!'

Read at ...

Link

7 Comments:

At 7:44 am, Blogger Tulap said...

interesting enough it is just a game but check out ebay and you find out that in-game items/money can be sold for real dollars! Some people make extra money by just playing online games and sell it back to other players that are ready to pay for it. But it is still sad to see a death happening for a couple of hundred dollars at most.

 
At 8:27 pm, Blogger Lectrice said...

I am *certain* that we could make academic progress as real a reward as the ten pences kids get from selling doughnuts, or the fictionalised time scores they win on a computer game.

Hmmm. Need to think this one through.

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger alena said...

Nice Blog!!! It looks like you've spent a fair amount of time setting it up and keeping the content fresh. I'll be sure to come back.

I have a online dating blog. It pretty much covers single online dating related stuff.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger jon said...

I am looking everywhere for hiking shoes and hiking shoes, while doing so I somehow stumbled onto your hiking shoes blog. I am happy to say I learned something and will look into this further...

Thanks for the great posts...

jon

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this download free font site, it's pretty awesome too!

 
At 2:52 am, Blogger jiri said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

This may be of interest to you I have a free online dating service. It pretty much covers dating stuff.

I'll be sure to come back.

 
At 3:02 am, Blogger Julian Silvain said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

It'll be in a totally different area than yours (mine is about mens male enhancement reviews) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly about mens male enhancement reviews related articles and subjects.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home