Monday, October 10, 2005

A state of decay?

School buildings in decay? Learning environments or holes for student oppression? Another beat up or something more?

My experience of state schools certainly fits with much of this. In fact is seems to me that governments can get away with this kind of crap first because it's really expensive (I'm sure they could spend the entire state budget on school works and not finish the job) and second because schools are for YOUNG PEOPLE and YOUNG PEOPLE don't VOTE (ie they don't really matter in terms of government expenditures and vote buying - which is what government spending is about - let's get serious).

Do you think that if parents and adults had to spend 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year in squalor that there would be silence and aquiescence about the state of public school facilities?

mmm ...

(do you need more time on this one?)

We should remember that many independent and Catholic schools face similar problems, and that some government schools are much better off than all of them (a state school near to where I taught last year received in excess of 10 million bucks to upgrade some facilities, new middle/junior school etc - this particualr school is a 'show piece' school though and has recieved probably twice that amount over the last 10 years for various programs to ensure the government has a couple of schools to show to the public).

What is your school like?

(there is the editorial same paper)

Link

3 Comments:

At 11:34 am, Blogger M said...

Schools are in many ways crappy places in terms of facilities, but in schools like mine where there is no ownership of space or classrooms, teachers feel no reason to pretty/tidy areas up. After all, if no one saw you do it, can't you just blame the Year 7's??
I would love a room where I can hang posters and display work without having to employ extra security. I bet politicians never have to worry about protecting the artwork behind their desks!

 
At 1:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a first year teacher, I knew to expect the unexpected but I didn't really realize how behind my children would be. I know that people don't come into the education field for money, but when the real rewards that you think you would attain are unreachable you begin to quesiton your ability to teach or the students ability to learn. I would love to plan excititng/valuable lessons for my students but unfortunately the budget doesn't allow us to take field trips, or use the neccessary tools for student devolopment. I feel like my students are being left behind because their parents don't make enough money....That really sucks.

 
At 5:38 am, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I have no sense of smell from late August until early July from the mold and mildew in the ceiling.

I am now on two inhalers plus allergy medicine that will not interfere with my eye medicine. I did not really have allergies until I started teaching.

We have mice in the walls.

I cannot control my own air conditioning or heating.

We sometimes havee water running down the walls.

We have a flat roof that should not be walked upon, but the only way to fix the air conditioning is... to walk on the roof.

I had a window that had been broken since two teachers ago and a work order in for six months. A storm hit so hard that it blew the window open and soaked everything on my desk over the weekend. I finally mentioned it to one of the night custodians, and she fixed it in 10 minutes.

The faculty toilet requires four to five flushes to do its job.

The tile in the hallways doesn't match.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home