Monday, March 20, 2006

ACER Teacher magazine

Ok, so I'm a little embarressed. For a couple of reasons:

1. ACER publishes a magazine called Teacher and Jo and I are featured in one of the articles. One of the tags for this article is about how Jo and I are 'pioneers' in online learning communities or some such fluff! This is quite funny. I mean while I don't know many teachers in Australia using blogs in their teaching or for their own learning I'm sure there are many out there anyway. When I say 'teacher' I guess I mean 'secondary school English teachers'. I realise there are teachers of all types blogging away about lots of different things. I certainly don't feel like a pioneer, but then again I don't suppose anyone really does - you just do what you do and try and enjoy it while you're doing it.

So this my first embarressment. I'm not a pioneer.

2. The other em ... is that I haven't been blogging regularly for a couple of months now (this might be why Jo has taken me off her blogroll! ;) sorry Jo hehe). Things have changed a lot for me over the last year. I'm not a fulltime PhD student and I'm not teaching as regularly as I was (or as I'd like to actually) and this seems to have made a huge difference in the kinds of things running through my mind.

So, I'm described as a pioneer, but I don't blog anymore!

Interesting thing is that I've been looking for an excuse to 'get back in the saddle'. I still have plenty to write and think about and as a fulltime student on a scholarship (thanks MONASH!) I have a little more space that I did when teaching fulltime.

No excuse, you could say.

Although I am playing more computer/video games these days.

6 Comments:

At 1:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
what a great post. I love it when you blog, you old pioneer you (I think she meant in how many people you've encouraged to start blogging, not necessarily being a trail blazer?) Just stop playing so many computer games. Or better yet, keep playing and tell us about them. No excuses.
btw there are 25 edubloggers at http://australianedubloggers.pbwiki.com/ That gives you a clue (or maybe there's more we haven't found yet.) I don't know of many that are actually using blogs in the classroom with their students and I would like to know more.

 
At 2:19 pm, Blogger Scott said...

thanks jo, you're always very encouraging!

 
At 9:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I think Jo makes a good point. There probably aren't as many Aussie edubloggers as you think. Most South Australian edubloggers that I know are on the wiki (only one that I know of who isn't on there who blogs regularly. But because it is easy to fill a Bloglines account with like minded educators all around the world, many of which are doing really incredible things, it is easy to feel like maintaining a blog of substance is no big deal and there are edubloggers galore! So wear the pioneer badge proudly, I say!

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Scott said...

Thanks, Graham.

Well, if I can get a badge, a shiny star shaped one, that says 'Sheriff' or even 'Deputy', then I'm in - you can call me what you like!

 
At 12:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain?

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Scott said...

As long as you're not standing on the table with Leaves of Grass in your hands ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home