Sunday, February 06, 2005

The school I'd like

With apologies to Lectrice who has posted a message with this title in the past (which was excellent, as all her writing is!) but Emma sent me this article (The school I'd like) which is interesting but painfully simplistic (of course). So my advice is ignore the old binaries (innovative, committed and busy teacher-bad, lazy and awful teacher; bad, old pedagogy-new, good, innovative pedagogy, etc.) and have a read about South Australia's new 'university school' ("Jointly funded by the South Australian Government and Flinders University, it is the first school in Australia to be located within a university."). Article claims it's the first in Australia, but I know it wont be the last, as Monash are planning to build at least one down in Gippsland (south-eastern Victoria).

Who will be allowed entrance? (rich (oh, and smart) white kids)
Why? (so universities can wrest more control over schools and curriculum)
Money from the government? (THis will be tightened over time and end up being 1/2 of what is is and then some big coporation will buy in a rebadge the place)

Plenty more questions ...

Link

3 Comments:

At 2:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Scott- I had a cyber conversation with you re blogging and RMIT last year- thanks for that - it is up and running on gradspot.blogspot.com
Now, beside the point- your edumail is no longer in existence so I am using this site to contact you re the possibility of you tutoring my son - are you interested in tutoring a dedicated year 12 student? He is at Lilydale High School and would like some extra assistance. I know you are starting a PhD but though you may like some extra 'cash'. Philip is a great kid who just wants to do well. If you can help could you contact me on 9735 2643 or email lesleysm@tpg.com.au - or if you know of someone suitable could you let me know !
Congrats on the PhD opportunity and on the birth of Baby Bulfin!
Lesley Smith

 
At 9:37 am, Blogger Lectrice said...

Interesting experiment, isn't it?

The article on a similar theme, many many moons ago, wasn't mine; it was written exclusively by my thirteen year old students, no worries. :)

 
At 8:30 pm, Blogger EdWonk said...

You've got a nice site. I hope that you post something soon. I'll check back. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home