Monday, February 05, 2007

pathogising technologies

Blaming technologies for our ills is nothing new of course, but I'm wondering how these quacks can claim to 'treat internet addition' as if 'it' was some kind of disease. Pop a pill, I imagine.

Hysteria around complex social phenomenon like this makes me wonder how it might be possible to cut through the crap and tell a different story. While I have no doubt that there are many and serious social problems connected with this kind of stuff, to lay the blame at 'the internet' or 'the game' is just silly.

I mean no one would ever suggest that democracy could be brought to a totalitarian state through force and warfare, would they?

Labels: , ,

Link

1 Comments:

At 4:45 am, Blogger Nat said...

I know what you mean. I hate the way society blames cigarettes for people's smoking addictions...

Seriously, I didn't really get the feeling that the article was blaming technology as such -- merely pointing out that the internet is yet another avenue for addiction. You know, just in case you weren't already aware of that.

So what do you reckon the solution is?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home